Email system for Squadron Commanders
Congratulations to you as a squadron commander. Here are a few tips about the email system available to you.
- Your squadron has a fixed email assigned to you. It is ILnnn@ilwg.cap.gov where nnn is your unit number. For example IL999@ilwg.cap.gov. While this email can be used to communicate with the remainder of the world, the primary focus is to hold a Google Drive account for your unit. It is recommended that each of your subordinate areas store files in the area so as positions are re-populated, important documents and past history are not lost. You may organize it in any way you wish but one suggestion is to create folders for each functional area then grant permission to that area to the person in charge. When they move on, simply re-assign permissions to the new staff.
- You should ask the previous squadron commander for the password to this account. It can be reset but the password is not known to anyone else.
- When your assignment has been approved in eServices, you be will a member of your Group commanders email lists. The same holds true to any deputies you assign. They will automatically be assigned to the Group’s email lists.
- You will also be placed on a wing level mailing list for all squadron commanders. That email list is called SQCC@ilwg.cap.gov. Any deputies you assign will also be placed on the SQCC email list.
- You have several email lists assigned to your unit. Each are updated automatically.
- ILnnn-ALL@ilwg.cap.gov: This list will let you send communications to all members directly assigned to your unit. If a member is TDY to your unit, they will not receive the email. You will need to contact them directly. Cadet parents are included in this communications.
- ILnnn-CADETS@ilwg.cap.gov: This let will let you send communications to all cadets contacts assigned to your unit. These emails will also go to cadet parents and all deputy commanders for cadets. As squadron commander, you will also receive a copy of all messages sent to this list. Anyone who is a member of this list can send to the list. This a great way for your Deputy Commanders for Cadets to communicate with cadets.
- ILnnn-SENIORS@ilwg.cap.gov: Even though senior members are technically now called ACTIVE members, the email list existed before the change. Similar to above, anybody who is listed as a senior member in your unit will receive communications. And as always, anybody who is a member of the list can post to the list so your Deputy Commander for Seniors can use this list to communicate with your senior members.
- ILnnn-DC@ilwg.cap.gov: All of your Deputy Commanders
- ILnnn-DCC@ilwg.cap.gov: All of your Deputy Commanders for Cadets
- ILnnn-DCS@ilwg.cap.gov: All of your Deputy Commanders for Seniors
- ILnnn-STAFF@ilwg.cap.gov: All of your command staff
- ILnnn-RR@ilwg.cap.gov: All of your Recruiting and Retention Officers and the unit commander (recommended to use this one on your web presence)
- Lastly, cadet parent emails. As you know, when cadets join, they are encouraged to provide a parent contact email address. Parents quickly get tired of CAP communication and often scream to get off of CAP email lists. IT can’t do this, it must be done by the CAP member themselves. For a parent to be removed from the email list, they must have their cadet go into eServices and update their email contact to say DO NOT CONTACT. This is done via this link: https://www.capnhq.gov/CAP.eServices.Web/MyAccount/ContactInfo.aspx.
While all of the email lists are updated automatically, the automation is triggered manually, typically around the 5th of every month. If you have any changes to your units (new members, new assignments) that need to be reflected sooner, please contact Maj Edward Danley (email@example.com) and he can trigger the updates to the email lists on demand.
Last reviewed: 13 Feb 21